Ruth's Genealogy

“I don't know who my grandfather was; I am much more concerned to know what his grandson will be.” -Abraham Lincoln

STANLEYMilesFrancisII_b1915_1916aMiles Francis Stanley II was born on 15 Jan 1915 in Grandview, Texas to John Thomas Stanley and Marie Mistrot Carrico. As the oldest of 4 children and the only boy, Miles was an active child, belonging to both the YMCA and Army ROTC. Childhood was spent on Jennings Avenue in Fort Worth, and Miles later attended Central High School.

STANLEYMilesFrancisII_b1915_1931While a student at Central High School, Miles met the love of his life and future wife, Charley Belle Rogers. Graduating in 1931, Miles went to work at his father’s employer,  the Fort Worth National Bank as a painter’s helper.

STANLEYMilesFrancisII_b1915_1934Miles and Charley Belle eloped to Oklahoma and were married on 31 December 1934 in Marietta. They returned to Texas to live with Charley Belle’s parents on May Street in Fort Worth.

Later, Miles became a bookkeeper at the bank and the couple got their own place on Boyce Avenue in 1935 and then on Frazier Avenue, but not before the birth of their first child, Maryland Sue. Born in 1935, Maryland sue was followed by the births of Jan Marie in 1938, Miles Francis III in 1940 and Kathy Lee in 1945.Troy Pix (306)

With the beginning of the United State’s involvement in World War II in December 1941, the Stanley family buckled down to support the war effort. Though not drafted in 1943 (classification 2B, Deferred in war production) and 1945 (classification 4A, Deferred by reason of age), Miles still contributed as an engineer and draftsman at aerospace and defense companies Consolidated Aircraft (1942) and later Convair  and General Dynamics Corporation working on the B24, B36 and B58 military aircraft in Fort Worth. There he worked until retirement in 1969.

In 1950, Miles and Charley Belle and the 4 children finally got their dream home in a quiet neighborhood on Townsend Drive, across the street from a large park. The children attended nearby schools, Miles continued at General Dynamics and Charley Belle ran the household.

Miles was very active as an elder at St Marks Methodist Church and also as a scout leader and administrator in the Boy Scouts of America, Longhorn Council.

MilesFStanleyIII (23)Just before Christmas in 1954,  the family was struck by tragedy with the accidental shooting death of Miles’ only son, Miles III, known as Mike. As could be expected, recovery was difficult for the family.

By 1969, the Stanley girls had all married and moved out of the house on Townsend, but that empty nest didn’t last long, as grandchildren quickly began to arrive.

STANLEYMilesFrancisII_b1915_1968 (3)An unhealthy habit that Miles had picked up as a young man eventually led to his early demise in 1970. Severe, inoperable heart disease caused in part by smoking led to his medical retirement from General Dynamics in 1969.

STANLEYMilesFrancisII_b1915_1970 obit1On Saturday morning, 2 May 1970, Miles was found by Charley Belle, having suffered a massive heart attack. He was dead on arrival at All Saints Hospital in Fort Worth. He was 55 years old.

Following a funeral on May 4 at St Marks, attended by numerous current and former Boy Scouts, as well as many former co-workers and friends, Miles Francis Stanley II was laid to rest at Green Oaks Cemetery, near the graves of his father John and son Mike.

%d bloggers like this: