the 2015 educational initiative at GeneaBloggers – where you do get to go home again . . .
and start over with your genealogy research.
Genealogy D0-Over 2015 Week 2 ASSIGNMENTS (no longer topics in my mind, but that’s ok!):
- Setting Research Goals
- Conducting Self Interview
- Conducting Family Interviews
As this week began, I was feeling frustrated and stressed. You know: “The best laid schemes o’ mice an’ men…”
- I discovered that OneNote 2013 is now free. As I have never been totally comfortable with EverNote, I quickly downloaded the PC, Chromebook and iOs versions. I googled “OneNote tutorials”, found a couple of good ones, and spent an afternoon learning how to use OneNote and setting up my genealogy notebook, sections and pages. Cool.
- Then I tried to sync some stuff that I added to the Chromebook version and it wouldn’t sync to the desktop. About ready to give up and go back to Evernote! So I posted my problem on the OneNote for Genealogy Facebook page and got some help and finally got it figured out. So I’ll stay with OneNote. Great.
- I had originally planned to start this Do-Over with my Mom, and had done a lot of work with her database, but then today I realized why Thomas wants to start with the participant’s database. I probably have more data and knowledge about myself, obviously, than anyone else, so this is a great exercise to learn to research, document and prove facts. Neat!
- This morning Thomas uploaded an example of how to write your own biography page, and also posted on his progress so far. Both very helpful and both reinforcing the need to start with ones’ self. Gotcha!
So, I’m feeling better now, although I have a lot of work ahead of me to get my own files up to date.
A couple of thoughts: although I have been working toward a paper-free genealogy existence (except for original docs and photos), I now see where a few papers lying about are a good thing, especially a Family Group Sheet. Also, for those of us rapidly discovering that there are not enough hours in the day, Thomas posted a link to a free (TODAY ONLY) Project Management e-book.
My only problem now is coming up with a good 2-day illness so I can play hooky at work this weekend… 😉