Ruth's Genealogy

“I don't know who my grandfather was; I am much more concerned to know what his grandson will be.” -Abraham Lincoln

Genealogy and web design are to my brain as are Oscar Madison and Felix Unger to that apartment in New York City. Can they really live together and get along?

I think so.

About a month ago, I purchased Bloggy, a premium theme for this blog. It was time to remodel the kitchen, so to speak. I wanted some fresh paint and new appliances.

In the first couple of days after the purchase, I created new pages, set up widgets, added links and images. The site was looking pretty good. Then my attention went back to genealogical research and I didn’t pay much attention to the blog’s inner workings. But the web-development part of me took charge again. You see, I love creating and developing a website almost as much as I love genealogy! So I went to Bloggy’s own website and conducted a more thorough study of the theme and its abilities, and learned a lot.

So when I got off work last Sunday nitght and got home about 1 am, I logged onto this blog and went to work. Chronic insomnia occasionally has its benefits. By 7 am Monday morning, I had

  1. developed my WordPress public profile, adding as my gravatar a baby picture of me
  2. added a “follow me” widget
  3. added a link to my Diigo bookmarks
  4. completed the About page, including adding a featured image (that baby picture again)
  5. worked on both cemetery pages, adding an image gallery to each
  6. created a “Genealogy on a Budget” page, with sub-pages for my links to free genealogy websites/software/etc. I was considered creating a Weebly site for the budget pages (I do love to build websites!), but got to thinking: Why create a separate site that might draw visits away from this site???” Duh!
  7. also changed and tweaked the theme for my Archives site

I also discovered that it’s probably not a very good idea to stay up all night working on a website. My brain was mush for the rest of the day!

It took me a couple more days to really get the “Budget” pages to look the way that I wanted them to. I first had to go through over 400 bookmarks saved at Diigo and weed out the duplicates and dead links, then reorganize them according to location. And since Diigo’s export function really doesn’t work very well, I had to figure out how to get those links to this blog. Than done, I then needed to develop the Budget pages in such a way to present the links succinctly. I accomplished this by adding tables to the pages, and began inserting my favorite free genealogy sites. It’ll take a few days to get them all added.

My blog is done, for now. So come on Oscar, I gotta get back to work on that photography… oops, I mean genealogy. 😉


%d bloggers like this: